Sunday, January 9, 2011

Facebook - fact or fiction

And that is the thing about Facebook - who is real? To me it was an exercise in imagination - be become anyone you want. This is a social tool and to my mind should be kept on a social level. I looked at the State Library page and pleeease ... advertisements for a natural bra and the trick of a tiny belly! There was nothing there that wasn't on their webpage, so what is the point. The basic reason for the creation of Facebook was so college boys could rate their fellow female students, and not on their acedemic ability. The lack of privacy continues to be a major concern. From a personal perspective, I see no need to have a page, and I'm not convinced there is any need within the public library world either.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, privacy is certainly an issue with Facebook and one has to take care who they "friend". I recall Facebook at one stage trying to crack down on pseudonyms - but this resulted in real people often having their accounts frozen for days to weeks before being able to convince Facebook that was there real name. For example, I remember reading about a case where a journalist had their account suspended because their first name happened to be Elmo - which the Facebook staff must have thought was being "borrowed" from the cute and cuddly Sesame Street character.

    ReplyDelete